top of page
Wedding Table Set


What is your Cancellation Policy?

Non-refundable deposit due upon signing of contract. If you cancel due to government restrictions surrounding COVID-19, our regular cancellation policy continues to apply, however we offer maximum flexibility with our rescheduling policy. No additional fees will be incurred and there is no time limit on the offer. We can accommodate both date and location changes.


Where can we host our ceremony?

We travel to the location of your choice.

Can we perform a wedding ceremony on Zoom (or other video chat platform)?

For a legal marriage, the couple must be in the same location as their officiant and witnesses during the ceremony and signing of the legal documents.

Can I live-stream my ceremony?

You are welcome to include those who can’t be with you for your vows by using a streaming video platform. Let us know if you would like us to mention and give a special welcome to your virtual guests.

Can we write our own vows, have friends read, etc?

You sure can. Feel free to ask me for resource suggestions.

What do you, the officiant, wear to the ceremony?

​I wear appropriate business attire unless you request something different. I'm happy to participate in dressing to a theme. I have clergy attire if requested.

Does the officiant stay for dinner?

You are welcome to extend an invite, but it is not expected.

What time does the officiant arrive on the event day?

I arrive at least 30 minutes before the ceremony. We'll capture an on-site phone number in case we need to reach you.

Is a gratuity expected?

No, however I would love a referral to friends or a testimonial for the website.

How long before a wedding should we book a wedding officiant?

​Every wedding is different. Some months are busier than others.I suggest you should book just as soon as you have your reception venue reserved. Please contact us and check our availability any time.


Will we be legally married?

​Yes! Canadian law allows each province to legislate their own marriage act. Your officiant will register your marriage with the province once the ceremony is complete. Same sex marriages have been legally recognized across Canada since July 2005.


Can our children take part in the ceremony?

We encourage it. Ask us for our list of ideas on how to do just that.

Is a rehearsal necessary and how much does it cost?

We suggest yes, to walk through the ceremony with the officiant and ceremony participants. This is included in your rate.

How do I apply for a marriage certificate after we are married in Ontario?

Wait about 8-10 weeks before applying as it can take up to 12 weeks for the government to process the marriage licence and register your marriage. You can easily apply online or by mail.

Do you perform home deathcare ceremonies?

Moonstone Ceremonies offers does offer end-of-life ceremonies. For related home deathcare services, please consider Karry Sawatsky of

Can I take my spouse’s surname?

Canadian residents (outside of Quebec) can assume their spouse’s surname regardless of where they get married. Please visit the Province of Ontario's website for more information.


How do I change my name after the ceremony?

In most cases, you can just "assume" your spouse’s last name. In other words, to "change" your name you just start using it. To update your driver’s licence, bank accounts and other information, you will simply need to show your marriage certificate.

A legal name change – which changes your birth certificate – may be required for updating immigration or citizenship documents.

Where and when do I get my marriage licence in Ontario?

You can purchase your licence from a municipal office or City Hall anywhere in the province. The license is good for 90 days. In most cases you can apply and get the license the same day. Here is a link that will tell you about the ID you will need


How do we get a wedding licence if our divorce was outside Canada?

If you were divorced outside Canada, you will have to provide divorce documentation to the provincial government to be validated. Documents in languages other than English and French, will have to be translated.

For example, in Ontario, you need to provide the following to Service Ontario:

  • Marriage licence application: completed and signed

  • Statement of Sole Responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)

  • Legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario

  • Divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French


If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

Visit the Service Ontario website for more details.

For other provinces, please contact the licensing agent/body in your province for more information, or call our office.

What if there is a change to my date/time/location?

If there is a change to your date, time or location, you must let us know. We will reconfirm with your officiant to make sure they are still available for you. It is important that the office have all the up-to-date details in case there was ever an issue where a back-up officiant had to be sent.

My question isn’t listed/answered in this FAQ, what do I do?

I'm available to answer all of your questions. Just contact me through my contact page.

bottom of page